Thursday, May 05, 2005

Alice Liddell

Speaking of Oxford, on RogueClassicism David Meadows draws attention to one of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Lives of the Week, Alice Liddell, famous as the heroine of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. David Meadows comments: "Most folks have have taken Greek will have been told that the model for Alice of Wonderland fame was the daughter of the guy who did that huge Greek dictionary"; here's the entry:

Hargreaves [née Liddell], Alice Pleasance (1852-1934)

It's a wonderfully written piece, by Lewis Carroll's most recent biographer, Morton Cohen, who was something of a Carroll figure to me, my brother and sister, when we were children. My father Selwyn Goodacre is something of an expert on Lewis Carroll and Professor Cohen used to visit. My father's interest in Lewis Carroll encouraged me to dabble in this a bit myself. I have a couple of articles on him, the most recent of which is "Reverence and Resolution: The Heart of Carroll's Religion", The Carrollian - The Lewis Carroll Journal 9 (Spring 2002): 32-42.

No comments: